Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Believe in Today

Wow, sometimes people can just rub you the wrong way. I let someone ‘get’ to me the other day. I hate it when it happens. Or at least when I let it happen. That means I am allowing them power over who I am when I let them affect me adversely. Have you been there? Are you relinquishing control over who you are to someone else? Are you giving up power you have to live positively because you, for a moment, believed the lies of impossibility? Have you forgotten you are surrounded by abundance? That you have unleashed power within you?

I am a fortunate woman in so many ways. I have countless wonderful gifts in my life that make me rich … not materially, necessarily, but in love and loyalty and goodness and joy. One of the most wonderful gifts God has given me was the gift of a Dad who believed in living a positive lifestyle. Dad lived life with a perpetual smile in his heart and a song on his lips. Did Dad suffer, go through financial stress, have to deal with unkind people or trauma in the lives of his loved ones? Yes! However, he lived in everlasting hope of a better day – of things working out in the end – with a knowledge that whatever misery had to be gone through was only temporary.

Dad always tried to see the best in people – pointblank, there you have it. He believed with a vengeance that all people were basically good and had it in them to be better. He didn’t ever condone blatant sin – wrong was wrong. However he could give a person a break and a hand up when others might not. Even though he and Mom weren’t rich, they always had enough to share with anyone who was going through a bad time.

One of my Dad’s favorite books was The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale – now, that’s an oldie but a goodie! I have one of his copies and I love his markings in it and have added my own. I also have several other books that were his and it is the neatest thing to run across where he underlined places that impacted him or sometimes to see where he put a Bible verse by a particular paragraph for deeper understanding. Memories of Dad and his attitude on life, living abundantly in the now, came to the forefront and fortified me when I needed it.

Here’s a daily ‘exercise’ I adapted recently for myself and it comes from a combination of The Power of Positive Thinking but also, Better Than Medicine by Leroy Brownlow. It is a method to ensure your spiritual power – based on affirmations told to yourself throughout the day and taking to heart a dozen ‘power verses’ from the New Testament that you decide to commit to memory. I came across this at just the right time for my son, Jacob and for myself. Our life is hectic and topsy-turvy – I needed to add some oomph to my mornings just to keep my spiritual heart together. I have put the following on little cards the size of business cards and I keep them handy to re-read throughout the day.

*****
Here’s a couple of affirmations:
Jesus is right beside you. God is holding you in his right hand. If God is for you, who can be against you?

Here’s some gentle reminders:
Restore Belief, Positive Thinking, Faith in God, Faith in Other People, Faith in Yourself, Faith in Life!

Power Verses by the Dozen: (one per card)
Matthew 6:33 – But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 9:29 – Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith will it be done to you”
Matthew 17:20 – Jesus replied …I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Mark 9:23 – ” ‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.”
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:31 – What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Romans 12:2 – Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
II Corinthians 5:1 – We live by faith, not by sight.
Philippians 4:13 – I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:19 – And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
II Timothy 1:12 – … I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

****

For today, I believe. I have faith that all will work out in the end. I am serene in my confidence in God and his workings in my life. Just for today, I believe.

Try this for yourself – you will not be disappointed! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment