Sunday, November 28, 2010

This Time of Year

Well, this was supposed to post yesterday but oh, well.  I will post it today. Blessings to all of you for a Wonderful Sunday!
You are actually coming to the conclusion of my favorite time of year – Autumn! For me, Thanksgiving Day is kind of like the culmination of all these wonderful days of harvest! I love the colors – browns, golds, oranges,  yellows, and reds …  and all their shades and hues. They make the prettiest pictures here, there and on the mountains! I love the smells – you know … the ’smokieness’ – with the first fires in chimneys, leaves being burnt, and of course, then there’s the smell of all these wonderful autumn foods cooking – apples, squash, pumpkins and you name it, I am so happy I can smell autumn! The produce mentioned above and others that are unique to the season – mmm, wonderful, most especially when you are harvesting from your own garden! And finally, I love the activities leading up to  and the actual day of Thanksgiving. I love it all  – the preparation, cooking and baking! Honestly, I don’t even mind the clean-up. Even then I am counting my blessings but, most especially in the States where it is just natural you wash your dishes in the kitchen at your own sink and have hot water at your fingertips. But, I’m wandering now so back to … I love AUTUMN!!
Now, I know not all the United States enjoy the fall season like I described, but I have been privileged to delight in living in the Carolinas the biggest portion of my life and we know how to put on a show!!
So here I am, in Honduras where there is no fall. No changing of the seasons. No pumpkins, no greens from the garden, no frost on the ground or brisk, cold winds. Between Argentina, Nigeria and now here, this is the eighth year I lived in a country where there is no changing of seasons and maybe that’s why it means so much. You know, ‘you miss what you can’t have’.
But, by contrast, here I live and there is green all around … there will be a time later when we’ll be longing for rains; there be a lot of dust and it will start browning up a bit. However, as mentioned, it is green here and you know what? Of all the colors on the palette of God, green is my favorite color! I love all shades of green, all tones. To me, green represents l-i-f-e … full, vibrant and beautiful. Well, how’s that for a gift? I sit here in our family room, on the second floor of our house and out any of the 3 sets of windows see beautiful, glorious, resplendent shades of green!



Greens to the left of us.Behind us.


Greens to the left of us and behind us.
There’s quite a few smells I love here too. So much of the cooking is done in outdoor kitchens that with all the walking we do we are going to smell any number of fragrant dishes being cooked on any given day. There’s lots of flowers in this climate – and their scents waft on the breeze continually. Walking down town we pass several bakeries, and although I haven’t found any pastries to rival those we found in Argentina, well, baking bread is baking bread and my, oh m, it is wonderful to smell!

'Greens' in our yard.
'Greens' in our yard.
My flowers - shades of red, orange, yellow!
My flowers - shades of red, orange, yellow!
I have yellows!
No, we didn’t have the usual Thanksgiving fare but we had most of it. We were reminded we were here and not there when Donna lost electricity at her house – since she has an electric stove, she had to bring the turkey to my house to finish baking in my gas oven. And we didn’t find any canned pumpkin or pecans but we did substitute almonds, lemon and chocolate and had glorious desserts after a big, wonderful meal.
Thanksgiving in Honduras!
Thanksgiving in Honduras!
Yummy food! Great Fellowship.
Yummy food! Great Fellowship.
All that to say: Life is what you make it. Wherever you are, you can decide on being blessed. What? Decide on being blessed? Yes, I can make up my mind not to dwell on what I don’t have but to insist from myself that I will take pleasure in the blessings at hand. So, I did. I do. I love living here. I love making do with ‘this’ when in my heart of hearts, I would really, really love and enjoy ‘that’.
Yep, indeed, God is good, and I am blessed and highly favored.
Me! Blessed and highly favored.
Me! Blessed and highly favored.

No comments:

Post a Comment