Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday’s Word

Wednesday’s Word is “fallow”.
I looked out our bedroom window and saw the family garden. It’s January of course and so the ground is dormant right now. Not being used but, not useless. A resting state. What came to my mind was seriously, the word fallow. I felt drawn to look it up and here is what I found:
World English Dictionary
fallow 1 (ˈfæləʊ)
adj 1. (of land) left unseeded after being ploughed and harrowed to regain fertility for a crop     2. (of an idea, state of mind, etc) undeveloped or inactive, but potentially useful
I like that. I really like that. It also reminded me that it has been used in the Bible as well. “Fallow-ground”. So, I went to look that up too. Here is what I found:
The expression, “Break up your fallow ground” (Hos. 10:12; Jer. 4:3) means, “Do not sow your seed among thorns”, i.e., break off all your evil habits; clear your hearts of weeds, in order that they may be prepared for the seed of righteousness. Land was allowed to lie fallow that it might become more fruitful; but when in this condition, it soon became overgrown with thorns and weeds. The cultivator of the soil was careful to “break up” his fallow ground, i.e., to clear the field of weeds, before sowing seed in it. So says the prophet, “Break off your evil ways, repent of your sins, cease to do evil, and then the good seed of the word will have room to grow and bear fruit.”
How totally cool is that? It goes right along with how I’ve been feeling. Like my creative juices have been dormant for awhile, I’ve been ploughed up, not in use; inactive.
My creative energies have lain fallow this year.
However, this is not a bad thing. This is a very good time in my life. You see, just like the family garden, my heart and mind have been in a state of upheaval, broken, and then laying still but all the while being cultivated by God’s own hand. Resting is beneficial. Waiting for renewal is redemptive. I am being prepared for the seeds of righteousness, the seed of the Word so that I can become fruitful and creative once again. The hand of the Father is in my heart planting seeds, covering them faithfully, and allowing nourishment from the seasons of life to have their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment