Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Glory!

I love Autumn. I love October. My Dad was born this month and our youngest son, Jake, was as well and so were a few other friends and relatives ... it's just a month of celebration! For instance, not only do we celebrate the wonderful colors of fall, we also are deep into harvest-time! Apples, pumpkins, garden greens - I love it! Autumn has so many traditions, the trees all dressed in their best colors, frost-covered pumpkins, and I remember how my Dad always had piles of wood stored up against the cold of winter - it's a season filled with anticipation.
This is a collection of poems that call to our deepest lives … calling us to pause and rejoice in our abundance. Remember to take this mindset through the year … Celebrate the goodness of the earth! E. B. White, Anne Lamott, P. D. James, Julian of Norwich, May Sarton, Kimiko Hahn, are a few of the authors that you'll enjoy in this beautiful book rejoicing in autumn.
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
730059: Autumn: A Spiritual Biography of the Season Autumn: A Spiritual Biography of the Season 
Edited by Gary Schmidt & Susan M. Felch
Gary Schmidt, professor of literature at Calvin College, has culled a collection of thoughts and reflections to aid in clarifying the spiritual themes of the season. Take advantage of this opportunity to explore centuries of fine literature focused on fall.From Autumn: A Spiritual Biography of the Season
I have been walking in the woods, and have lain down on the ground to rest. It is the middle of October, and around me, all through the woods, the leaves are quietly sifting down. The newly fallen leaves make a dry, comfortable bed, and I lie easy, coming to rest within myself as I seem to do nowadays only when I am in the woods . We must recover the sense of the majesty of creation, and the ability to be worshipful in its presence.
– Wendell Berry




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment