Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Summer-time Showers vs Sunshine In My Soul

This summer in this neck of the woods (Brushy, Blue Ridge foothills) we've had repeated warnings for flash-floods or just general flood warnings for weeks now. So.much.rain. 
Yesterday was my birthday - it was a very good day. Our original talked about plan for the afternoon was to go out in the boat: fish, float, relax, swim, read, enjoy the quiet in the sunshine (this would have been after an outdoor breakfast with my three guys, and then the arrival of oldest and her girls and the packing up of youngest for college!) Change of plans. It rained at least 5 times yesterday ... hard as all get out at times and then just a steady sprinkle others. Hmm, trying to remember if the sun shined at all. Not sure. Oh yes, I even took pictures... that's why the lake adventure was even discussed! 
The early morning sun on the pastures! Yes!

Our youngest loaded up and headed out for university. His own new beginning.

Uncle J and 2 of his girls. Sweet! See ya later!
There was a small portion of cloudless sky for less than a 1/2 hour last night - hubby saw one meteor. I got up before dawn this morning to see if I could catch a few - no, heavy fog everywhere. This morning we sat under the big umbrella so the foggy drops wouldn't hit us ... after a while I just wanted to come in. I am really hoping tonight will prove to be a little cloud-free. I would love for us to see a few flashes in the sky! I love these few days in August with the Showers of Gold!
Well, in spite of the few days of sunshine we've had throughout the summer I am still of the mind that we really do make our own sunshine. We decide if our days will be golden or dull, radiant or glum, happy or sad. It's all about choices we make. 
I choose JOY and then, I always have sunshine in my soul. 
Here is a couple of lines from a favorite hymn. I can still hear my Dad and Mom singing it. 
There is sunshine in my soul today,
  More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky,
  For Jesus is my light.
Eliza E. Hewitt, 1851-1920

No comments:

Post a Comment