Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Cricket Chair and New Clothes

In my last note I alluded to some projects I'd gotten done within the past month or two. One of the biggest projects, may not be that big of a deal to some folks, but for me, yes, it was.  I enjoyed every minute of it. I recovered this old cricket chair. When I got to work I discovered it actually had several layers of cloth - 4 to be exact - the other times it had merely been covered up!
This go-round I got down to the skeleton of the chair.
two of four coverings to get off
totally bare and a good washing using Murphy's Oil Soap
Oiling the springs
old upholstery material for the seat
tacks and my hammer
and 'ta-da' - using some new material, this chair is ready for use!
I looked up this type of chair online because I wasn't sure if 'the cricket chair' was a nickname my Mom had given it or if indeed that was its true label and yes, I found "vintage cricket chairs" exactly like mine.

I could've bought a new chair I guess, but I'm really good at loving used but good stuff. This chair holds so many memories! I remember my Dad rocking in this chair - (in my mind's eye I can see him and even hear him as he rocked and sang!). Dad and Mom gave me the chair when our first baby came along. I rocked our 4 babies in it, and it was one of the few furnishings I never parted with when we made our various moves. So happy this is done and that the old chair was given 'new life'. Sometimes, you just know something you love is a "keeper". Now I'm rocking my grand-babies in it.
While doing this project I started exploring various notions. Like: some times in our own life we may just want to cover up the ugly rather than get down to the 'skeleton' of what matters. Or, we just take the quickest route to 'look' good. I don't mean getting rid of all that makes us who we are - good memories are just that - good and precious, and we even gain some mighty fine lessons from some bad times. Every so often though, we're just layering on good to cover up some 'baggage' that really needs cleaned up. It's a good thing to totally get rid of the yuckie layers - just throw them off, clean up, oil out a few squeaking spots and get a totally fresh start. Really, who'd go buy a new suit of clothes and just cover up the old?

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it. Colossians 3:12-14

I like that: "Wear Love." 
(and I'm always up for fresh starts!)

I'm playing along with Miss Jenny ... K for It's a Keeper - the vintage cricket chair
and I thought I'd visit the Shady Porch - chilly or not, I love a good rocking chair! 

8 comments:

  1. Well done!
    I have the rocker that my husband gave me for my 20th birthday. I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you stopped by. So sweet ... I love that you have a similar rocker and that it was 'one of those' gifts!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, thought-provoking post. As for the chair -- nothing could cover up the memories that it obviously keeps safe. How wonderful to see the layers of fabric from earlier mends but good also to have a fresh, new start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks Sarah for stopping by and for your comment. Fresh starts are wonderful, but yes, remembering the past can be pretty special too.

      Delete
  3. That chair is definitely a keeper, not only because it is kool but also because of all of the wonderful memories...

    I love the notions you had while working on it too...

    Out with the old and in with the new!

    Thanks for linking to the letter "K".

    A+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Jenny - you are such an inspiration. Thank you for stopping by - and it is always a joy to play with you. ;)

      Delete