Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Big, Wide Snow

Well, the much-anticipated snow has arrived – started snowing yesterday morning around 5:30. Today we have sunshine and strong winds.  This is been an unusual, crazy wide winter storm. On the news yesterday they said it was 750 miles wide – that means North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas were all involved. We have family in all three states – and we got pictures of various ones of us in the snow yesterday. It definitely is unusual for each of us to have snow on the same day, usually the storm is passing from one end over a matter of days. This storm is further North as well - and of course, those northern states are much better equipped to deal with this weather.
When I was a kid and then had my own kids we made Snow Cream - how about you? Now my sweet 's-i-l' makes it for the grandbabygirls.
Here is a common recipe.
I have friends in Vermont who actually add maple syrup instead of the sugar ... now, doesn't that sound delicious? Also, I have friends in Arkansas who add a spoonful of instant coffee and then drizzle it with maple syrup. Yums!!
There's probably loads of variants that make Snow Ice Cream very special!!
I love these cold but cozy days of winter. I am so happy with a few days of snow. Very soon I will be through with this joy and it will be replaced with a longing for summer temps.
Right now, I am content!




  Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I grew up and spent the first 25 years of married life in places with a lot of snow and I have never heard or snow cream! The next time I visit the grandchildren in Edmonton I am going to make it with them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am happy I got to share this with you! We actually enjoyed it three times - once with vanilla only and then, had it two more times with cocoa added. My niece just added caramel creamer to theirs ... lots of variations. Of course, we use the freshest, and un-bothered snow!!

      Delete